[omniORB] giopStream::inputMessage does memory copy

Serguei Kolos Serguei.Kolos at cern.ch
Fri Jul 18 11:05:38 BST 2003

Hello all

Let me congratulate  the developers of the omniORB.
It is the fastest ORB I have ever seen. I'm very impressed by it's
performance. But, unfortunately there is a serious performance
drawback in one particular case - when a bunch of oneway
messages is sent to the server over single connection. In this case
 the server reads many of them with a single recv operation
(which is very good!!!), but then it put each message into a separate
buffer by copying it with the memcpy function (giopStream::inputMessage
function in file giopStream.cc).
This seriously downgrades the performance in such cases and
noticeably (by a factor of 4) increases CPU consumption.
Can this code be re-worked to eliminate memory copying?

Thanks
Sergei