[omniORB] RPM spec: python 2.0 dependency?

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Tue Jul 8 08:23:57 BST 2003

>The RPM spec in contrib/RPMs specifies a build requirement of Python
>2.0. On RedHat 7.3 this causes a build failure, since that platform has
>Python 1.5.2.
>If I recall correctly omniORB would be perfectly happy with 1.5.2. Maybe
>the '2.0' is a Mandrake(?) specific artifact?
>If so, can it be fixed?

I'm not certain if "contrib/RPMs" is the same as the RPMs Sander and I
are building and posting. The spec file was developed from one done by
others for 3.x omniORB (so there is nothing Mandrake-specific about its
origins). I haven't run with pre-2.0 Python in a long time, and without
testing do not know whether in fact there is no problem with doing so.

If you (or someone) has a chance to do at least moderate testing then
report back and we can update the spec file to relax the version
requirement.

Or, update your copy of the spec file then rebuild and send 'em to me
and we'll post the built RPMs so others in the same rev-locked boat can
try them out.

                             - Tom