[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.2 / omniORBpy 2.2 soon

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sat Jul 5 17:22:17 BST 2003

DG> I intend to release omniORB 4.0.2 and omniORBpy 2.2 in the next week
DG> or so. If you have any pending bugs to report, or if you have an
DG> exotic platform that might have been broken, please try out the
DG> current CVS contents and let me know of any problems.

I had some troubles with installing on Mac OS X with omniORBpy 2.1.
I have the Framework installation of Python 2.3b2, and there are two
problems:
1. The python files should not be installed in
/usr/local/lib/python... but in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.3
This of course can be done with the
--prefix=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current argument to
configure in omniORBpy, but there are also python files installed by
omniORB itself, and there you can't do it as the other omniORB stuff
should go to /usr/local. I had to move them manually.

2. The shared library for the omniORB module is created as
omnipymodule.dylib  whereas Python expects omnipymodule.so.
.dylib is OK for `normal' shared libraries but not for the ones that
Python loads on import. I solved this by manually making a symlink.

The other module omniidl (from omniORB itself) is created as .so. In the
makefile (omniORBpy-2.1/mk/beforeauto.mk) there is SHAREDLIB_SUFFIX = dylib
which is used. There is also an additional PythonSHAREDLIB_SUFFIX = so but
that one isn't used.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl