[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.1 and AIX 4.3.3 and gcc 2.95.3 compilation problem

Tomasz Bech tbech at polbox.com
Thu Jul 3 15:15:38 BST 2003

Hi all,
I'm starting to use omniORB on AIX (to drop Visibroker).
For over three days of fighting this compilation of such unwelcomed
release I need help.
Autoconfig uses makeShareC++ which is not a part of gcc, so I droped
this idea.

As seen on the mailing list there is special platform makefile.
So I modified config.mk:
    platform = powerpc_aix_4.3_gcc (there should such be commented line !)

and in powerpc_aix_4.3_gcc.mk put right paths to pyton.

Result is
***
./../../bin/powerpc_aix_4.3_gcc/omniidl -bcxx -Wba
-p../../../src/lib/omniORB -
Wbdebug -v -ComniORB4 ../../../idl/bootstrap.idl

omniidl: ERROR!

omniidl: Could not open IDL compiler module _omniidlmodule.so
omniidl: Please make sure it is in directory
/users/tbech/ND/omniORB/lib/powerpc
_aix_4.3_gcc
omniidl: (or set the PYTHONPATH environment variable)

omniidl: (The error was 'No module named _omniidl')

***

The file _omniidlmodule.so was not created at all - I tried to find out
but without a luck (I'm not master in reading/understanding makefiles).
Clue is MakeCXXSharedLibrary in powerpc_aix_4.3_gcc.mk. So I tried to
link it is a such way, but after that omniidl is telling that the format
of .so is wrong, or is crashing at the start (when I do not make an 'ar
cq ...').
Questions:
1. Why _omniidlmodule.so is not built?
2. Is this MakeCXXSharedLibrary correct - why it produces wrong so, or
crashes the omniidl.

I've seen that someone finally run it under Visual Age, but I must use gcc.
Help appreciated,
    Tom