[omniORB] tcp transport wrapper

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Jan 28 14:42:02 2003

On Friday 24 January, "Renzo Tomaselli" wrote:

>     I planned to write a tcp transport wrapper for my own security purposes.
> This in order to avoid direct socket handling, so that I can pipeline
> connection management and send/receive to/from tcpEndPoint and tcpConnection
> classes. I guess this should be a common pattern for this task, instead of
> cutting&pasting from tcp like the ssl transport did.
> Unfortunately tcpConnection constructor requires an explicit socket, so I
> cannot proceed because class giopEndPoint does not publish it.
> What about adding a virtual "unsigned getSpecific()" or alike to
> giopEndPoint class to access the socket in forthcoming 4.01 version ?

I don't really want to change anything like that before 4.0.1, since
it involves an addition to a semi-public interface, which it's best to
avoid in a micro release. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to
expose the idea of a socket descriptor number in the giopEndpoint,
since it is meant to abstract away from such details.

Having said that, it does sound like you have a good reason for
getting hold of such details. I think it's too major a thing to change
in the 4.0.x series, but it will be sensible to revisit for 4.1. If
you can come up with a description of what you need to do, that will
help guide the most sensible interface.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --