[omniORB] retries with omniorb 4?

Adrian Rosoga arosoga@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 16:14:02 2003

Hi. I would like to have more updates about a change in
omniorb 4. When using version 3, a retry of the remote
method on the server side (when the handling of the request
took a long time) was causing problems. At that time I got
the answer below from Duncan. Can it be confirmed that
omniorb 4 changed and no retry is happening?

Cheers,
Adrian

> > Thank you all for the help. I played more with the
> client
> > and server. The client indeed retries and sends two
requests. Only
> > after that the COMM_FAILURE exception is raised.
> >
> > Just curious, is this a feature or a bug? From the
> answer
> > somebody was given (see the link below) for a similar
problem, it
> > looks like it is a known issue but "...
> you'll
> > have to live with it for now". Is there any plan for a
> fix?

> It's not really a feature or a bug, but an interaction
between two
> things. What happens is that you make a successful call
> (possibly just
> the initial LocateRequest that omniORB always does) to
> the server;
> when the call returns, omniORB caches the TCP connection.
> You then
> make another call, which times out. When a reused
> connection fails,
> omniORB retries with a new connection before reporting a
> COMM_FAILURE. It has to do that to cope with TCP
> connections dying due
> to transient network failures.
>
> The root of the problem is that omniORB 3 can't
> distinguish between
> communication failures due to timeouts and other
> problems. omniORB 4
> throws TRANSIENT exceptions when timeouts occur, and has
other