[omniORB] Deadlock in example eg3 when eg3_impl is not available (vms)

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB@rjrt.com
Tue Jan 21 20:22:02 2003

I am guessing you have an older compiler (what does "cxx/version" report?).

There was a bug in the optimizer for the cxx compiler that caused this behavior.
IIRC, the version of the compiler that caused the problem was 6.2.something.
What follows assumes that this is the case and that you are experiencing this
same bug.

I believe the problem can be solved by upgrading the compiler, omniORB, or
both.  I seem to recall that someone (no, it wasn't me) came up with a
work around in the omniORB library code that involved volatile.

Another course of action would be to recompile the omniORB libraries without
optimization.

Personally, I would upgrade the compiler anyway.  It's a really nasty bug.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Dieckmann, Jan [mailto:J.Dieckmann@psi-bt.de]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:21 AM
To: 'omniorb-list@omniorb-support.com'
Subject: [omniORB] Deadlock in example eg3 when eg3_impl is not
available (vms)

I'm using omniorb 3.0.3 under Open VMS 7.2.
I am able to build and run the examples eg1, eg2 and eg2 of the folder
[src.examples.echo]. But what happens under bad weather conditions? When I
run the client eg3_clt without first starting the server eg3_impl the
eg3_clt hangs and does not throw any exception. (By the way that's what
happens under NT.) May be there is something special with Threads under VMS.
Any help would be appreciable.

regards Jan Dieckmann

Here are some details:

The main method calls hello(echoref);
hello calls dest = e->echoString(src); of echosk
echoString calls _invoke(_call_desc); of  omniobjref
_invoke calls _assertExistsAndTypeVerified();of  omniobjref
_assertExistsAndTypeVerified  calls _locateRequest(); of  omniobjref

and _locateRequest() hangs in an endless loop.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any
attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential,
protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or
proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended
recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution,

or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if
any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.