[omniORB] RE: Bug reports about Solaris 7 / Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler

Hautesserres, Thomas thomas.hautesserres@managedstorage.fr
Mon Jan 20 12:51:01 2003

> Setting the PYTHON variable in the platform makefile is only used when
> you are _not_ using the configure script. If you use the configure
> script, you are meant to specify PYTHON in the configure arguments.
> That's what it says in README.unix.

Yes, you are right (of course), thanks for pointing that out.

We were misguided by the fact that we were reading the part of the
README.unix file that deals with the minimal installation of Python
(which we are using), and that part is included in the
"Manual configuration with platform files" chapter.

> > 2) Ambiguities in constructor calls :
> >
> > We had problems with the following calls (repeated a couple
> of times in the
> > sources files of src/lib/omniORB/orbcore) :
> >
> > cdrMemoryStream buf(CORBA::ULong(0),1);
> > cdrEncapsulationStream e(CORBA::ULong(0),1);
> >
> > The ambiguity is that the Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler doesn't
> know that 1 or 0
> > is a CORBA::Boolean, so it decides that the constructor
> call is ambiguous
> > and could also be a call to a constructor like :
> >   cdrEncapsulationStream(const _CORBA_Octet* databuffer,
> _CORBA_ULong
> > bufsize, _CORBA_Boolean allowAlign4 = 0);
> > (because a long can also be a pointer).
>
> Does it produce an error or just a warning?  The strange thing is that
> the compile works fine for me with Sun CC 5.2. It worked with 5.0 when
> I last had access to that, too. If it really is a problem, the proper
> solution will be to explicitly cast to boolean in the calls to the
> constructor, rather than adding another constructor.

It is an error, not a warning, and the compilation stops.

And you are right again, the proper way to correct that is it be more
explicit
in the calls, not to add another constructor (and to duplicate constructor
code). But as I've said in my original mail, it was simpler for us to
modify only two files.

But if you are OK to integrate the modifications, I can try to compile
again,
note where the errors are and send you a precise summary of all the
modifications
that are needed. Just tell me!

And as a global conclusion: thanks for your answer!

Thomas