[OmniORB] Problem using ORB options

Thierry DESCOMBES descombt@ipnl.in2p3.fr
Thu Jan 16 08:40:02 2003

I'm developping a program which is both client and server CORBA. I have a
lot of real time constraints, since I have 1000 ethernet nodes to
interrogate by second.

I'm using omniORB-4.0.0 on a Linux Mandrake 8.2. I tried both with gcc2.96
and g++3.0

I'm calling CORBA::ORB_init with all this parameters:
	"-ORBInitRef", ORB_REF_NAMINGSERVICE, 	\
     	"-ORBclientCallTimeOutPeriod", "1000",	\
     	"-ORBserverCallTimeOutPeriod", "1000",	\
  	"-ORBinConScanPeriod", "1",			\
	"-ORBoutConScanPeriod","1"

When a connection problem occurs, the ORB rise an exception
CORBA::COMM_FAILURE or CORBA::SystemException, but leaves the system in an
unstable state. (in general, bugs occur just after). Moreover, most of time
when the network is a bit charged, exceptions are raised without any reason...

If I only use
           "-ORBInitRef", ORB_REF_NAMINGSERVICE, 	\
     	"-ORBclientCallTimeOutPeriod", "1000" }
My program runs fine, but disconnection takes much more than 1second to be
taken into account. Nevertheless, my program remains stable (I have tried
it during more than 72 hours without noticing any problems).

So, is all this options incompatible together ? which of them must I use ?
Thanks in advance

Thierry