[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.0 registry settings on Win32 - InitRef trouble

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) jhje@novonordisk.com
Mon Jan 13 14:07:01 2003

Hi.

Have just installed omniORB 4.0.0-1 on Windows 2000. Had a previous 3.0.4
installation and a warning was emitted that old-style registry entries were
detected for InitRef. OK, I want to be hip, so I did as the README says
(after deleting the old-style entries):

      Start the tool REGEDT32.EXE (on NT) or REGEDIT.EXE (on Windows '95).
      Select the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\InitRef (or
      create it if it doesn't exist). Add a string value (known as a
      REG_SZ data type when using REGEDT32) with key "1", value
      "NameService=corbaname::my.host.name" (putting the correct host
      name in, of course).

Ouch! omniNames gives me an Access Violation (looks like a NIL pointer) on
startup. eg3_impl and eg3_clt catch unknown exceptions (probably the same
AV). The old-style registry settings worked, so instead I did:

      Start regedit. Create the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB.
      Add a string value named "InitRef" with value
      "NameService=corbaname::localhost".

This works fine. Is this a known doc bug, or is it supposed to work with the
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\InitRef and a string value named "1"
beneath that ?

Best regards

-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark