[omniORB] General ORB questions

Kai Schofield kaischofield@hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 17:12:01 2003

Hello Bjorn.

Thank you for your reply but Iīm still a bit confused. Maybe at first I
should outline what I actually want to achieve using omniORB and how I am
trying to approach the problem.

My preferred programming language for this project is Java and not C++.
Therefore I focused on RMI over IIOP. Pure Java RMI seemed to restricting to
me because it could be that, at some point, I want my application to talk to
other services (e.g. EJBīs or some kind of WebService developed in whatever
language).
As you stated in your reply, the ORB shipped with the JDK is not very
suitable for commercial, high-performance applications and so I decided to
try out omniORB.

For this reason I donīt use any of the omniORB libraries directly. I just
start onmiNames and bind my objects to the naming service using Java and an
URL like this: iiopname://localhost:2809/MyObject
This procedure works fine and I can also access the bound objects via my
Java-Client application.
(Note that I can use the same server and client applications when I start
the Java ORB instead of omniORB. Except for the execution performance there
is no difference in the behaviour of the two ORBs)

My main problem now is that, frankly, I donīt really know what exactly I am
doing and why it is working.
I read the OMG CORBA specification but this didnīt really help me. What
exactly happens when I bind an object in the naming service? Is my
Java-Server application which binds the objects the ORB?

I hope my questions donīt seem to dumb to you but this subject matter starts
making me crazy...

Best regards,

Kai

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup