[omniORB] Last questions on installing IDL stubs

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri Feb 28 17:28:01 2003

On Friday 28 February, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> I think I have things working to allow building and installing all
> (buildable) IDL files. Including the .pyc files, there are 358 files to
> be installed!

Wow!

> I'm not sure how to best build and install the IDL into a subdirectory
> while maintaining the ability to simply say "import CosNaming" and have
> it work as before.

It is very important that it is still possible to still do "import
CosNaming" and have the right thing happen. The Python language
mapping spec requires it, and so does lots of existing code.

I know it's going to make your life harder, but I would suggest
keeping CosNaming where it is currently installed, and putting all the
others somewhere else. This is important since otherwise people with
an existing installation will be at risk of getting the old one. You
could just add CosNaming to the list of stubs that aren't built by
your scheme, and use the old make rules for it.

>    I'm pretty new with python installing, but afaik all
> of the options are:

Another option is to put the stubs in a subdirectory somewhere, and
require users to explicitly add it to their PYTHONPATH if they want to
get them. That might be too inconvenient, though.

I'd suggest putting them in a directory under site-packages/omniORB,
because COS is a pretty ambiguous name. site-packages/omniORB/COS
seems a sensible choice.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --