[omniORB] Last questions on installing IDL stubs

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Fri Feb 28 15:23:02 2003

I think I have things working to allow building and installing all
(buildable) IDL files. Including the .pyc files, there are 358 files to
be installed!

With that many files, should we isolate them into their own directory
(say, "site-packages/COS")? Previously, CosNaming was installed into the
main area, but on my machine that only contains 79 files including a
omniORB 2.0 installation.

I'm not sure how to best build and install the IDL into a subdirectory
while maintaining the ability to simply say "import CosNaming" and have
it work as before. I'm pretty new with python installing, but afaik all
of the options are:

1) Install into site-packages/COS/. Include a site-packages/COS.pth so
python knows to make COS/ visible.

2) Install into site-packages/COS/. Include a
site-packages/COS/__init__.py to allow "from COS import CosNaming". Not
sure if I can generate all of the IDL so it hangs together. And changes
the import line for existing code :(

3) Install into site-packages/omniORB/. Require "from omniORB import
CosNaming". Same issues as (2)

4) Install 358 extra files into site-packages/. Oof :/

(1) seems to me to be least invasive and most in style with the current
version, though I'm not sure that COS.pth works with directories outside
of the main installation area like /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages. (2)
and (3) change the namespace for CosNaming, and (4) seems to be really
heavy. Suggestions/comments/guidance?

                     - Tom