[omniORB] Reducing file size footprint in embedded system

Gentry, Ken Ken.Gentry@gilbarco.com
Thu Feb 27 18:52:02 2003

Hi All,

I work on a team producing an embedded product using
a custom Linux OS (2.4.10-based) and OmniORB 2.8.

We have been very happy with speed and memory usage but are
now feeling pinched on binary footprint of the libraries,
stubs/skeletons, etc. of CORBA.

At the moment all of our CORBA is static and "in-process"
so the marshalling is being short-circuited already.

I have been asked to look at ways to remove OmniORB from
our application but retain enough of the architecture so
that in the future we could drop OmniORB back in if we
get a flash memory upgrade.

We have been kicking around ideas of rewriting the base
skeleton and stub classes to be simple abstract base
classes without any marshalling, etc. We would also have
to make some minor changes in data types used here and there
(sequences are used). That will require a fair amount of work.

Any suggestions on how we could substitute code that would
allow us to remove OmniORB from our application but later
allow us to drop it back in with a minimal amount of pain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ken Gentry