[omniORB] configuring omniORB4 to cross-compile

John Van Horne jvanhorne@linuxcare.com
Thu Feb 27 17:37:02 2003

  I'm trying to build omniORB-4.0.0 on RedHat 8.0/i686 for a
cross-compile environment. I'll be building my application on my
RH80/i686 machine, but the target is s390-ibm-linux. So I need to have
build tools, like omniidl, to run on i686 but run-time things, like
libomniORB4.so, libomnithread.so, etc., to be cross-compiled for s390.
I tried using the configure script, with --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu and
--host=s390-ibm-linux. When I do this, the problem is it doesn't seem to
distinguish between what objects need to be native compiled and which
need to be cross compiled.  For instance, it cross-compiles omkdepend,
so it can't run it later when building the libraries.
I tried the manual configuration with platform files, configuring first
for native i686 and building the src/tool directory, then I reconfigure
for s390 and build src/lib, src/appl and src/services. This seems to be
working, though I still have some testing to do.
My question is, am I going about this the right way?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
John Van Horne