[omniORB] communication timeout

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Mon Feb 17 09:00:03 2003

Hi,
    I experienced a disappointing behavior while debugging on Win XP and VC
6.0 which didn't occur with previous versions.
If I freeze an application at any point for a few minutes (breakpoint stop),
then when I try to invoke a method on any remote object which was contacted
before I get a COMM_FAILURE (minor WaitingForReply).
Then any other method invokation succeeds and things run properly. E.g. only
the very first invokation fails.
I guess a scavenger canceled the connection on either side (perhaps on the
server side according to inConScanPeriod which defaults to 180 sec.),
however I wonder while this connection is not silently reestablished at the
first contact after the frozen lap. All timeout config params are left to
their default values.
The overal effect confuses somewhat a debugging session since such
exceptions are not thrown during normal runs nor after short breaks so that
they look like a random failure.
Thanks,

Renzo Tomaselli