[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.0 registry settings on Win32 - InitRef trouble

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Feb 13 11:19:01 2003

On Monday 13 January, "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" wrote:

>       Start the tool REGEDT32.EXE (on NT) or REGEDIT.EXE (on Windows '95).
>       Select the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB\InitRef (or
>       create it if it doesn't exist). Add a string value (known as a
>       REG_SZ data type when using REGEDT32) with key "1", value
>       "NameService=corbaname::my.host.name" (putting the correct host
>       name in, of course).
>
> Ouch! omniNames gives me an Access Violation (looks like a NIL pointer) on
> startup. eg3_impl and eg3_clt catch unknown exceptions (probably the same
> AV). The old-style registry settings worked, so instead I did:

I've finally had a chance to look into this. It seems that the access
violation happens if there are only sub-keys of HKLM\Software\omniORB.
If there are one or more entries in the omniORB key, the sub-keys work
fine. I can't see anything wrong with the code in orbOptionsReg.cc, so
I think it's a bug in Windows. I'm not an expert in Windows
intricacies though, so I might be wrong. I'm open to patches to work
around the problem...

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --