[omniORB] Building omniORB 4.0 on OpenVMS 7.3-1 and Solaris 8...

Shotton, Glenn Glenn.Shotton@advantica.biz
Wed Feb 12 09:54:01 2003

Has anyone else managed to build omniORB 4.0 on OpenVMS 7.3-1?

So far, I'm not having much success. I'm using Compaq C++ V6.5-004, MMK and
Python 1.5.2 V007, which I've rebuilt under VMS 7.3-1.

Here is a list of the problems I've come across so far:

OMNIORBROOT:[SRC.TOOL.OMNIIDL.CXX.CCCP]CCCP.C
- Cannot find include file '<omniconfig.h>'
I solved this by changing the DIR_CINCLUDES line in DIR.MMS from [] to
[INCLUDE], but I then had to change a line in ALLOCA.C to include "config.h"
rather than <config.h>.

OMNIORBROOT:[SRC.LIB.OMNIORB2.ORBCORE]
CORBADFLOAT.CC, CORBAGFLOAT.CC and CORBAIEEEFLOAT.CC could not open include
files <omniORB3/CORBA_sysdep.h> and <omniORB3/CORBA_basetypes.h>.
I changed these to <omniORB4/...>, i.e. from omniORB3 to omniORB4. That
seemed to work.

Then, when trying to link OMNIIDL.EXE, the file
PYTHON_OLB:CONFIG_INITTAB.OBJ could not be found. Sure enough, it doesn't
exist - even after a full rebuild of Python.

If I remove it from the PYTHON.OPT file, OMNIIDL.EXE will link (sort of: it
gives numerous undefined symbols the first time you try, but seems to
succeed the second time around!) - it just gives a 'No module named cxx'
error when used...

I'm hitting a different problem on Solaris 8 too, using Sun Workshop 4.2
compilers: I get about 6000 undefined symbols when trying to link
_omniidlmodule.so.1.0.

If anyone has any good ideas, I'd be grateful!
Best regards,
Glenn

--
Glenn Shotton
Senior Applications Developer

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, the views expressed in this email
are not necessarily the views of National Grid Transco plc or any of its
subsidiaries or affiliates (Group Companies), and the Group Companies, their
directors, officers and employees make no representation and accept no
liability for its accuracy or completeness.

This e-mail, and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for
the addressee(s) only. The content may also contain legal, professional or
other privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and then delete the e-mail and any
attachments.  You should not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance
on this transmission.  You may report the matter by calling us on + 44(0)
1509 282 550.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach
any documents from this transmission.  The Group Companies do not accept any
liability for viruses.

An e-mail reply to this address may be subject to monitoring for operational
reasons or lawful business practices.