[omniORB] TIE approach and reference counting

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Mon Feb 10 11:22:01 2003

On Monday 3 February, "Hautesserres, Thomas" wrote:

> - Why are the generated _tie classes not inheriting from
> RefCountServantBase? Is that a question of CORBA-standard complicance, or is
> there any good reason not to do that?

The C++ mapping specification says that the tie class should only be
derived from the skeleton class.

> - At the end of this message is what I have done to force my TIE servant to
> use the RefCountServantBase. Is here any other (more standard) way to
> achieve that?

That looks reasonable to me.

This issue goes away with the proposed new C++ mapping, since
RefCountServantBase has been deprecated, and the reference counting
behaviour is in the ServantBase base class. The new mapping can't be
supported in omniORB 4.0, since it is not binary compatible with the
way it's currently done.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --