[omniORB] Problems with SGI and OmniORB-4.0.0

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Feb 4 15:43:02 2003

On Monday 20 January, Mark Underwood wrote:

> The SGI MIPSpro compilers seem to figure out that the *_forcelink_
> symbols are never used from your OMNI_FORCE_LINK macro so then it
> removes it from the *.o files.  This then also causes the
> *_should_be_linked to also not be included in the *.o files.  The
> warning message from the 7.3.1 compilers follows:
>
> cc-1552 CC: WARNING File = ../../../../../src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/codeSets.cc,
> Line = 77
>   The variable "_omni_CS_8859_1_forcelink_" is set but never used.

Hmm. Is it possible to fool it by adding more static variables in
OMNI_FORCE_LINK?  Or perhaps a static function that references the
linked symbols. I'm not keen on the idea of adding code in function
bodies since that doesn't work well for things like the extra code
sets library and the SSL transport.

Are there any compiler switches to tell it not to remove things that
aren't referenced?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --