[omniORB] deleting active servants

Pánczél Levente Levente.Panczel at compuworx.hu
Wed Dec 17 17:40:00 GMT 2003

Hi!

If I get it right, you suggest that I override _remove_ref(). I could really do that. Suppose I override _remove_ref() to call dlclose() on the shared object file's handle if it notices that the object being currently deallocated is the last instance. This way I would end up in a_remove_ref() calling dlclose() as its last command. As I see, the call to dlclose() detaches the file's memory image from the process' address space, causing the next statement after dlclose() to segfault. The mentioned "next statement" exists, 'cos the } closing the _remove_ref() definition generates an ASM RET, which will be deallocated after a call to dlclose().
The best solution would be if POA had a hook, _through_ wich the _remove_ref() or anything like it would be called.

for example if in the POA's code every
object->_remove_ref()
would be changed to a call like
ReferenceRemoverHook(object);
where ReferenceRemoverHook would be a function pointer in the POA, initialized to a function only performing the former call to _remove_ref().

Isn't there a mechanism like this?
'Cos I'm sure, if the answer is no, then the object-destruction-triggered closing of shared objects (DLLs) on concurrent systems involves a large amount of synchronization.

Cheers
Panczel, Levente