[omniORB] Cannot run the examples

Johan Cronje jcronje at dsp.sun.ac.za
Sat Dec 13 10:13:38 GMT 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 18:56, grlind at rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> ./eg1: error while loading shared libraries: libomniORB4.so.o cannot open
> shared object file: no such file or directory
>
> Since I am really new to this I looked over the info on the forum and tried
> to find clues as to what I am doing wrong
>
> I tried to modify my bashrc file to include the following statement
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_path="../omniorb/lib/"        Not sure if this the
> correct path to add?
>
> then execute the bash again and restarted the laptop also not sure how or
> when the bashrc file is run?

I would suggest trying the following:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="~/omniorb/lib/".

It will generally NOT work like you have it.

The tilde (~) is a shorthand for your home directory. The ~/.bashrc file is
read every time you execute a bash shell; if you want something exported
"globally" and only once (once meaning "when you log in"), you should add it
to your ~/.bash_profile file.

> I also notice that there is a comment to modify the config.mk file in the
>
> I edited the file in file:/home/gregg/omniorb/config/config.mk
>
> I took out the # statement on the following lines in this file.
>
> i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1
> platform=i586_linux_2.0_glibc2.1

You should only uncomment the last (i.e. "platform=") line; comment the first
line again. Also, if I have it correctly, you don't even need this if you used
the configure script as the configure script takes care of platform
"detection".

> then from this directory I tried to do the "make all" this gave me an error
> message that said no rule to make target "all" so I am not sure where this
> make is to run from? Or did I even have to edit this file at all should it
> configure itself when I ran the configure above?
>
> Not sure if I have to re-run any of the configuration or makes based on do
> this out of order or something...

There is no Makefile in the config directory, so after you have applied these
changes you should cd .. to get back to the top-level directory that contains
a Makefile (or, in omniORB's case, a GNUmakefile).

My suggestion would be to just add the above environment variable to your
~/.bashrc file. I don't think it is necessary for you to rebuild everything.

HTH

Regards,
Johan

- --
"There is beauty in simplicity"		-- Johan Cronje
Johan Cronje
Digital Signal Processing / Telecommunications Group
Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department
University of Stellenbosch
http://www.dsp.sun.ac.za/~jcronje
GNUPG Key: http://www.dsp.sun.ac.za/~jcronje/jcronje.asc