[omniORB] omniNames (and maybe GIOPServer in general) Problem on FreeBSD 5

omniorb at bindone.de omniorb at bindone.de
Sat Dec 13 07:21:31 GMT 2003

Hi Folks,

I found a bug (or kind a misbehaviour) using omniNames under FreeBSD 5.2RC.
omniNames didn't respond to "nameclt list" (it did if there were NO
entries).
The trace showed that omninames was binding to an senseless IP Address (254
something) which were never used in the system.
It seems that this was caused by an uninitialized interface (fire wire fwe0,
the first one shown bei ifconfig) which had no IP address. While listening
to all interfaces, it replied this address to the client, resulting in the
client to contact this address (and timing out).
Setting an arbitrary IP address on the interface saved my day (night ;)
While this *might* be a FreeBSD 5 related problem (maybe someone out there
has a chance to test this for other systems with uninitialized network
devices) it would be nice to have a chance to forbid binding to other ip
addresses than the ones given in the commandline and/or omniORB.cfg

gtx
michael