[omniORB] omniORBpy 2.3 and Mac OSX

Zachery Corbiere zcorb at fluidarch.com
Thu Dec 4 22:21:51 GMT 2003

First, thanks for all the hard work that's obviously gone into
omniORB/omniORBpy!  I've been using omniORBpy on Linux and Windows for
about a year and a half with great results.

Now I'm attempting to use it on Mac OSX.  I run the ./configure, make,
make install for both omniORB-4.0.3 and omniORBpy 2.3 and everything
goes without a hitch.  Furthermore,  I've compiled and successfully run
the C++ echo examples.  This is all on version 10.3.1 with the dev
tools that come with 10.3.

When I attempt to run omniORBpy, though, I get the following error:

 >>> args=['-ORBInitRef', 'NameService=corbaname::localhost']
 >>> from omniORB import CORBA
*** malloc[21519]: error for object 0x311240: Double free
 >>> orb=CORBA.ORB_init(args)
omniORB: ORB_init failed: unknown option (-ORBInitRef) in -ORB arguments
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File
"/Users/zcorb/local/install/omniORB-4.0.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
CORBA.py", line 451, in ORB_init

   File
"/Users/zcorb/local/install/omniORB-4.0.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
CORBA.py", line 462, in __init__

omniORB.CORBA.INITIALIZE: Minor: INITIALIZE_InvalidORBInitArgs,
COMPLETED_NO.

I'm pretty much certain this is caused by (some?) static constructors
in shared libraries not being run.  Being a newbie to the OSX platform,
though, I'm still feeling my way through fixing the problem.

I found a couple of references to similar issues on this list but the
current config scripts seem to produce makefiles with all those
suggestions already implemented.  Has anyone already figured this out?

Thanks!

--
Zac Corbiere
zcorb at fluidarch.com