[omniORB] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Aug 29 13:27:07 BST 2003

On Friday 22 August, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> For Linux RPM packaging, I'm inclined to break off omniORB's top-level
> CORBA.py into a separate RPM to make this conflict manageable. Not sure
> what to call the package; we currently have

That was my suggestion. I'm not so convinced it's a good idea now,
though, since it will probably confuse people.

[...]
> Duncan suggested having omniORB/CORBA.py register itself as "CORBA" so
> that only the first reference needs to have the "from omniORB". That
> sounds interesting; should we move forward on that also? We *could* also
> modify sys.path to expose omniORB/COS *only* if omniORB/CORBA.py is
> loaded (eliminating omniORB.pth altogether). Comments?

I didn't suggest that. James says that's what PyORBit does. Again, I
think that's unnecessarily confusing.

I think the best solution is probably to just miss out the top-level
CORBA modules altogether, and tell people they need to set PYTHONPATH
to a suitable location if they want import CORBA to still work.