[omniORB] COMM_FAILURE error in VC++

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Aug 26 13:18:21 BST 2003

On Friday 22 August, Rama wrote:

> I am getting a COMM_FAILURE error on
> CORBA::object_var obj = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");

[...]
> 1. Should OmniNames run be on the client machine also?

No. All machines should share an omniNames instance, so they can all
see all the names.

> 2. Should the InitRef variable in OmniOrb.cfg point to the server IP
>  ?

Yes.

>   the
> vendor has specified the naming context on the server as
> corbaname::serverIP:portnumber/NameService#vts/soa/ConnectionFactory/SPID

That's most likely wrong. It should just be corbaname::serverIP:portnumber

> 3.How do i see the trace log in VC++, i have set the traceLevel=40 in the
> config file, but i am not sure where the trace log be found

Tracing is sent to stderr. I don't know where that goes if you're
running in VC++. Use a DOS box and you'll see the output.

> 4. I have included the SK.cpp file and the header file in my project
> and was able to compi;e the application, should any other services
> be started? in order for my application to talk to the server on teh
> remote location

That's all you need, along with the configuration of where the name
service is.