[omniORB] eg3_impl stopped working with RedHat 8.0

Fei Chen feic at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 18:48:15 BST 2003

Hi all,

Recently my machine was upgraded from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 8.0. My current
configuration is

Linux version 2.4.18-14smp (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 SMP Wed Sep 4 12:34:47 EDT 2002

after which my omniORB programs stopped working (I was using
omniORB-3.0.4) I thought it might be some incompatibility with RH8 so
today I downloaded, recompiled and re-installed omniORB-4.0.2. However I
discovered even the eg3_impl example stopped working. I would start
omniNames fine. But as soon as eg3_impl is run, omniNames would simply
crash. This happens at the call in eg3_impl.cc:
testContext = rootContext->bind_new_context(contextName);

I'm new to omniORB and CORBA in general so don't really know what's going
on. It must have something to do with the upgrading since before the
upgrade everything (including eg3_impl of course) worked fine. Has anyone
else experienced the same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I turned on the tracing (traceLevel = 40) in the omniORB.cfg file, and
here are the
outputs given by omniNames
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~feic/omniORB/omniNames.txt
and by eg3_impl