[omniORB] Re: [pygtk] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Christian Reis kiko at async.com.br
Sat Aug 16 14:19:17 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:27:30PM +0100, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> It would break an enormous amount of code using omniORB to remove the
> top-level CORBA module, so I don't think that's a sensible option.
>
> This is really only an issue for packagers like RedHat and Debian. In
> any other setting, users can choose to install multiple ORBs in
> different places, and choose the right one with PYTHONPATH. This
> problem only requires if you have a reason to install them in the same
> place.

It´s actually an issue for all users if they have to fiddle with
PYTHONPATH to get their applications to run. We had a serious
compatibility problem when we tried to require omniORBpy for our
application since it also requires the PyGTK libraries, which is usually
accompanied by other GNOME libraries (which often included pyORBit). We
ended up giving up on CORBA (!) and using a simpler XML-RPC schema just
because of the support costs it incurred.

The end-user really shouldn´t be required to have to know about these
things -- they should just work.

Take care,