[omniORB] Re: [pygtk] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

ml ml at knorke.in-berlin.de
Thu Aug 14 11:07:37 BST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:56:27PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> since apps may:
>
>    * include stubs/skeleton files generated for a particular ORB
>    * rely on special features of a particular ORB
>    * need to interoperate with other bits of code using a particular
>      ORB (this is the case for gnome programs wishing to manipulate in
>      process Bonobo objects, which is why it can't use omniORB).

That exactly was the point: I have to have pyORBit installed
for certain GNOME applications and I have to have omniORBpy
installed for my own applications.  It is not possible to
replace one ORB with another.  omniORBpy does not support
Bonobo, pyORBit does not support omniINSPOA etc.  We have
different ORBs for a reason.

Maybe, Duncan and James, you can agree on not to provide a
"global" CORBA.py and PortableServer.py anymore.  Look at my
system (Debian unstable):

$ dpkg -S CORBA.py
fnorb: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Fnorb/orb/CORBA.py
python2.2-omniorb2: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/CORBA.py
python2.2-omniorb2: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/omniORB/CORBA.py
python2.3-pyorbit: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/CORBA.py

As soon as I upgrade omniORBpy to use Python 2.3 as well,
this will raise a conflict.

Cheers!