[omniORB] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

ml ml at knorke.in-berlin.de
Fri Aug 1 11:01:42 BST 2003

Hi,

I want to have both omniORBpy and PyORBit installed in
parallel.  The first, because I use it for my own
applications, the latter, because some GNOME programs depend
on python-gnome2 and therefore on PyORBit.  Unfortunately,
both packages include a file
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/CORBA.py
which leads to the conflict.

What is the best solution?  What does the standard say?  How
has this been dealt with in the past?  Some ideas:

Moving one of the files to a subdirectory seems an easy
thing, but applications cannot find their CORBA.py without
setting the PYTHONPATH or am I wrong?  Setting the
PYTHONPATH is not what users should have to do.

Renaming one of the files would break application source
code.

Maybe one could rename CORBA.py to omniORBpy.py or
PyORBit.py and do either

import PyORBit as CORBA

or

import omniORBpy as CORBA

That would break only one line of the application source
code.  A symbolic link from either omniORBpy.py or
PyORBit.py to CORBA.py could be provide for people who don't
care.  After all this is standard CORBA, if I don't use e.g.
omniINSPOA, why should I care?

Cheers!

See Debian bug report:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=202205