[omniORB] Multiple Network Interfaces

baileyk@schneider.com baileyk@schneider.com
Wed Apr 16 18:50:02 2003

Maybe you could generate each object reference twice, once for each NIC,
and run two instances of omniMapper, each listening on a different address.
Then clients would always hit omniMapper first and get redirected to an IOR
that is appropriate for whatever network they used to contact omniMapper.
I haven't tried anything like this, but I don't see why it would not work.
Your object refs would need to be persistent I think, and limited in
number.  Otherwise you'd need some agent like omniMapper but more dynamic.
The implementation repository under development might work.  Run one ImR
for each network and get your server to register with both at the same
time.  Then the number of objects for which location forwarding would
happen could be unlimited.  If it's just a handful of persistent objects I
think 2 omniMappers would work.  The ImR idea might need some tweaks to get
it to location forward with an IOR containing just the right network
address.

Kendall

                      Jens Nissen
                      <jens.nissen@gmx.net>              To:       omniorb-list@omniorb-support.com
                      Sent by:                           cc:
                      omniorb-list-admin@omniorb-        Fax to:
                      support.com                        Subject:  [omniORB] Multiple Network Interfaces

                      04/16/2003 11:38 AM

I'm using omniORB3.0.5. and have the following application:
A multihomed computer has two NICs, let's think of a gateway with an
internal and an external network interface.  On this computer my
application is
supposed to expose CORBA Objects. There are  Objects which are need to be
exposed
to the extenal NIC-clients and others to the internal NIC-clients.
My clients use omniORB3.0.5 and orbExpress, so I cannot use the feature
-ORBendPoint, where multiple TCP addresses are coded into the IOR, as the
clients
only evaluate the first NIC address. So either only the external clients or
the internal clients can access my application, depending on the order of
my
NICs.
Some of the clients cannot make a hostname resolution, so I cannot use
hostnames in the IOR instead of  TCP-Adresses.
Is there a way to activate objects and specify the NIC to be used for
creating the IOR?
(Like for example having an "external POA" and an "internal POA" (but I
couldn't find a POA-policy which helps))

Kind regards and many thanks for all the help I have received so far,

Jens