[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.1 does not compile under VS .NET 2003

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Apr 15 12:01:05 2003

On Tuesday 15 April, p.klotz@icoserve.com wrote:

> VS .NET 2003 does no longer include the old iostream library.

Marvellous...

> omniORB seems to rely on these non C++ Standard compliant header files.

The ORB core does not use them at all; omniNames and the examples do.

> Are there any plans to remove the old headers from omniORB?

No, because there are people who still use omniORB with compilers that
pre-date the standard headers.

> Would a patch that replaces these old header with the standard conformant
> ones (and adds std:: scoping) be accepted?

No, because there are people who still use omniORB with compilers that
pre-date the standard headers. :-)

A patch that made them optional would be, though, as long as it did
not uglify things too much.

omniNames has all sorts of horrible conditional compilation to work
around issues with different iostream implementations. I would be very
tempted to fix that by using C stdio instead. At least that's
supported everywhere.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --