[omniORB] Minor patch to windows build

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen@trema.com
Wed Apr 9 15:48:01 2003

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 03:10, Mark Hammond wrote:
> I have made a simple patch to the build system, so that omniidl
> will compile on windows from a Python source tree (rather than just
> a binary installed version).
>
> The patch simply adds a couple of directories is the /I and
> /libpath: options - for a binary install, the new $PYTHON/PCbuild
> and $PYTHON/PC directories wont exist, and for source trees the
> $PYTHON/lib tree has no .obj files, but that is not a problem.

Note that this patch does not address the problem of running the
resulting omniidl.exe.   If the locally built python is not
installed, it will not find python2x.dll, nor the python standard
library modules.

> Oh - and finally, it seems the devel branch is currently fails on
> Windows (well, 12 hours ago anyway!) :)  That isn't a problem for
> me though, I'm on 4.0.1.

Can you elaborate how it fails?   I'm currently struggling with a
similar thing, building first python23a2, and then building omniorb
using that on Win2000.  Works fine on linux, but on Win2000 the cxx
backend barfs:

omniidl fatalError occurred: Fatal C++ backend
An Attribute error exception was caught

I've tracked the problem to re module, it does not find re.sub.
Somehow the re.py wrapper doesn't get sre imported to its namespace.
I wonder if omniidl messing with the import mechanism?   Because if I
do just a plain python test program using, running it with the
python.exe (2.3a2), it works fine.

I'm using a snapshot of OmniORB, Sun Mar 23 20:36:13 GMT 2003 dgrisby.

I'm still not 100% sure if the problem is in omniORB, python, or my
enviroment, where I have 2 versions of python around.

Harri