[omniORB] BadPolicy exception in omniNames on OpenVMS.

Visscher, Bruce VISSCHB@rjrt.com
Mon Apr 7 19:09:01 2003

Hello,

After running for 147 days, an omniNames server that was built
against omniORB 3.0.4 and running under OpenVMS 7.3 crashed as the
result of a WrongPolicy exception being thrown from this line of
omniOrbPOA::servant_to_id:

          29341   if( !pd_policy.implicit_activation )  throw WrongPolicy();

This in turn is propagated out to:

     I1   32489
     I1   32490   PortableServer::ObjectId* PR_id() {
     I1   32491     return nc_poa->servant_to_id(this);
     I1   32492   }
     I1   32493

which was invoked as part of omniNameslog::checkpoint.

What could possibly cause this?  I have never personally seen this before.

It turns out that the time had changed a few hours prior to this incident
and there were some errant processes running with a higher priority than
omniNames.  It is tempting to blame this on those other processes but not
until after satisfying my curiousity with regards to the omniNames
internals.

Is there anything in omniORB 4.x that might have helped here?

On a slightly different topic: Attempts to port omniORB 4 to OpenVMS
have been reported to this list.  Have any been successful?

Thanks,

Bruce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any
attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential,
protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or
proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended
recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution,
or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if
any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.