[omniORB] Without auto activation, what alternate designs?

Charles Anstey canstey@charter.net
Wed Apr 2 00:53:01 2003

Using orbix for the past few years and only the basic BOA implementation
(no services), all of the projects required the auto activation of
services that orbixd provides.  In my limited experience it seems to be
the 2nd most important feature and would make any orb implemenation
almost useless without it.

Now I am sure that OmniOrb is not useless and there are projects that
require fault-tolerance that use it so my question is: What designs are
people using to get around auto activation as the way to handle crashing
services?  Ideally a service should not crash but it can happen anyway
and I cannot see a way around requiring an implemenation repository that
can start services on demand without adding complexity to the clients.

Charles Anstey