[omniORB] omniORB on AIX 5.1, xlC 5.0

Bradley Elkin be@us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 27 21:44:01 2002

 I'm an omniORB newbie.

I succeeded in building omniORB 4.0 on RedHat 7.3 with no problems.
Now, I have been trying to build omniORB with xlC 5 on AIX 5.1.  After
running configure, gnu make (3.79.1) (on AIX) dies almost immediately in
mk/beforeauto.mk
891: missing separator.
Nothing obviously wrong jumps out at me.

So I tried using the platform file for powerpc_aix_4.3_xlc5.mk and also
making a new powerpc_aix_5.1_xlc5.mk and adding the apropriate python path.
I didn't make any changes beyond hardcoding the aix major version # to 4
for the aix 4.3 platform file. AIX 4.3 and 5.1 are binary upward
compatible, so I was hoping that one or the other would work.
make export from src/ results in the compiler complaining about
_Corba_LongLong (undefined) in cdrstream.h. From the mailing lists, I
noticed that there was a patchfile discussed, but for omniORB 3.x.

When I try building on AIX with gcc,  'make export' eventually dies
complaining the _omniidlmodule.so is missing.

Is there a new patch availble for omniORB 4? AIX 4.3 or AIX 5L compatible
would work. Or if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as
what files/variables  I have to touch (AIX does have a "long long" type
now) for dependencies, I'm willing to modify, test and feed them back to
the maintainers.
I'd prefer to build with xlC/xlc, but I would still like to understand what
is wrong with the gcc/g++ build.

Thanks in advance,
Brad Elkin

IBM pSeries
Chemistry and Life Sciences Solutions Development,