[omniORB] Use of gethostbyname to resolve dotted decimal IP addresses

jon.kristensen@kongsberg-simrad.com jon.kristensen@kongsberg-simrad.com
Fri Sep 27 15:51:01 2002

Hi,

This is a follow-up on the message I sent September 24th (which I noticed
in the list, but have not yet got any feedback on).

I have now run a cross an instance where gethostbyname seems to fail given
a dotted decimal IP address under Windows NT. I will try to gather some
more info about this particular case, the only thing I know at the moment
is that it has NT SP6 and  omniORB beta2.

The omniORB config file has the entry:

     Endpoint = giop:tcp::900

The trace reports the proper IP addresses (real address first,loopback
address second).

Changing the endpoint spec to:

     Endpoint = giop:tcp:machinename:900

made everything work

We have other Windows NT setups that works Ok. As I said, I will try to
gather info about the differences.

I feel that this is a strong advocate towards the changes proposed in my
previous mail.

I would be happy to supply further information, trace logs, etc if
required. Please be specific in any requests and I will comlply.

regards,
Jon

Jon Kristensen
Principal Engineer, SW Embedded Systems