[omniORB] strings versus char arrays

bjorn rohde jensen bjensen@fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 17 18:43:01 2002

Hi Jimmy,

  I am profoundly puzzled by the idea of using arays of type CORBA::char
instead of CORBA::string, since CORBA arrays have to have all indexes
defined in the interface, and one would only save the bytes representing
the NULL terminater. The whole idea is amazingly bad. If you meant, they
wanted to put the machine representation of strings into CORBA::octet
sequences, i could see the merrits of the idea. It would be a size or
speed vs portability design choice, you might say. I think such a choice
is entirely reasonable in some cases, but one really ought to check, if
the performance requirements of the application really requires tossing
portability over board. I doubt, it really does, since the marshalling
of strings is quite fast.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn