[omniORB] Omniidl backends

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Sun Sep 15 21:52:01 2002

On Tuesday 10 September, "Karl Waclawek" wrote:

> I a  new to Omniorb and curious about the IDL compiler:
>
> It seems that the language specific part of it is implemented
> in Python through a defined interface using the visitor pattern.

Yes.

> That suggests that - in theory - one could build
> Python modules that generate code for other languages.

Yes, but it's not a trivial thing.

> How can the Dlls, like for instance OmniOrb400_rt.dll,
> be accessed. Only from C++? Or do they have a C-style interface.
> That might make it possible to access them from other
> languages without writing an extra binding in C++.

I recommend you look at omniORBpy, which is the version of omniORB for
Python. It does exactly what you are suggesting -- it has a back-end
for omniidl that outputs Python code, and a module written in C++ that
provides a Python interface to the facilities of the C++ ORB library.
As you'll see, there's quite a lot to it.

What language are you wanting to use?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --