[omniORB] Small tweak for local object detection

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Sun Sep 15 21:48:00 2002

On Tuesday 10 September, Chris Newbold wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 09:53, Duncan Grisby wrote:

> My description of our system was somewhat imprecise; while we do have
> "hotstandbys" there is a master/slave relationship between the redundant
> hosts. Clients should only ever be talking to the active master. When
> that host fails, a new master is elected. Clients must then
> (transparently) switch to the new master...

Rather than using a single IP address, perhaps you could use a
particular host name, and use DNS updates to redirect clients?  That
way the servers could talk to each other via IP addresses, and the
clients talk to them via names that are looked up. Of course, that
will be awkward if the servers need to send object references to the
clients, since they will have to be tweaked to contain the host name
rather than an IP address.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --