[omniORB] transport filters in 4.0

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Sep 10 11:56:01 2002

On Friday 6 September, "Renzo Tomaselli" wrote:

>     long time ago I discussed with Sai-Lai about the issue of communications
> security in OmniORB 4.0 (confidentiality or integrity) within a proprietary
> protocol context, not SSL. He suggested me to adopt transport filters
> instead of interceptors, as more suitable for stream-oriented handling of
> message contents.
> Since I could not find any reference in 4.0 users guide, I'd appreciate any
> pointer to example/documentation/usage of transport filters.

There is no specific thing called a "transport filter" in omniORB 4.
I assume that what Sai-Lai was talking about was implementing your own
transport, the same way the SLL transport is separate from the TCP
transport. It would be possible for your new transport to use the
existing TCP transport for much of its work, so the new transport
would act as a filter for the TCP one. Or maybe he was talking about
modifying the TCP transport so it called a filter before transmitting
and after receiving data. That would be possible too.

Take a look at src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/transport.txt for some
information about how transports work. Now I look at it, I see it's a
bit out of date about client connection shutdown. I'll update it
soon...

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --