[omniORB] Ways of bridging OMNIorb with DCOM

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Sep 10 11:19:01 2002

On Tuesday 10 September, "Michael Mountrakis" wrote:

> I am against a possible project that deals with distributed applications
> over a large LAN. The applications are written in Basic and Visual C++ and
> the operating system most of the hosts are running is MS Windows 2000. My
> task is to write a remote management application to control those
> applications. In order to do so, one "possible" solution I don't want to
> select is DCOM (obviously you understand why...). The other one is OMNIorb,
> but I have to find out a reliable way to bridge DCOM with CORBA. In other
> words to translate my CORBA requests in DCOM and vice versa.

A good way to build a DCOM CORBA bridge is with Python. It has a very
easy to use COM interface, and combined with omniORBpy, it's pretty
simple to build a specific-purpose bridge.

A couple of people posted a while back about dynamic bridges they had
built using omniidl and omniORBpy:

  http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2000-December/016850.html
  http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2001-January/016896.html

Having said that, if your management application is to run on Windows
too, it might be less pain to just use DCOM.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --