[omniORB] omniORBPy : Client-side timeouts

Bahns, Chris bahnsc@gsilumonics.com
Mon Sep 9 19:16:00 2002

I am getting intermittent COMPLETED_NO failures thrown in my Python script
that seem to occur when the system is busy doing other things (CPU loaded
and/or heavy disk access).

Environment:
Win2k SP2
MSVC++ 6.0 SP5
Python 2.2.1
C++ Objects: ACE-5.2.1 TAO-1.2.1 [built from source]
Python Objects: omniORBpy 1.5 [binary distribution]

The C++ objects are spread among five executables, and a Python script
instantiates the objects and drives the system. The script is multithreaded,
making concurrent calls on the C++ objects. Some calls continue successfully
for a short period after the initial failure, indicating that the Python orb
itself is okay.

Problem:
The script loops indefinitely executing the same sequence of calls on the
same C++ objects over and over. When the system becomes loaded, it
eventually generates an exception, which always says COMPLETED_NO (don't
remember other details). When I leave it running undisturbed, it goes for a
few days without any problems and eventually generates the same type of
error, but I suspect this may be due to background processes in Win2k coming
alive, resulting in the swap file being accessed, slowing down the system in
a similar way (I'm not sure if this is true, since I'm not there when it
happens). Anyway, I am under the impression that the problem is caused by
system load as opposed to length of execution, probably ruling out memory
leaks.

Call frequency while running is probably never more than about 10 or 20
calls in a second.

I can provide more details later, but was hoping someone could point me in
the right direction. The exceptions I see appear to be within the Python
script, since the executables driving the C++ objects seem unaffected.

TIA for any assistance. If you can advise exactly the kind of information
you need, I'll try to do it at home tonight (the software that does this is
quite large, and I have not yet tried to narrow it to a simple example).

Christopher Bahns
Senior Software Engineer
GSI Lumonics, Inc.
(978) 661-4683