[omniORB] Small tweak for local object detection

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Thu Sep 5 14:29:01 2002

On Tuesday 3 September, Venkateswara Rao Kanaparthi wrote:

> >You can publish the addresses of all the replicas in all the IORs,
> >
> How we do this on server side? How can I publish an IOR having address
> of both Server A and Server b? In my case Server B is a hot-standy for
> Server-A. So when server A goes down, client should start using
> reference of Server B.

You use the endPointNoListen configuration parameter to include
information about one or more endpoints that the server does not
listen on. See section 8.6 of the omniORB 4 manual.

> Should the 'Fall-over ' be taken care by client..or the client's ORB?
> In our case client might be on a different ORB, so is there a way to
> make them implement this 'fall-over'?

The client's ORB should take care of it. Whether it does or not
depends on the ORB. omniORB 4 does, but earlier versions of omniORB do
not. I don't know about other ORBs. I suspect most of them only ever
look at the first address.

Without client ORB support, you have to either play IP address or DNS
tricks, or make the client application code aware of what's going on.
The best thing to do depends on the application. This is the sort of
thing my company (Apasphere Ltd) will work on on a consultancy basis
if you (or anyone else) are interested.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --