[omniORB] ORBInitRef supplied multiple name services (Bug or Behaviour)?

Richard Jones rjones@mpc-data.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 14:47:01 2002

I have the following (syntactically correct) entry in my omniORB.cfg
file:

ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::machine_a.b.c:2809,:machine_b.c.d:2809

Now maybe I am making a presumption, but isn't this entry supposed to
allow you to specify more than one name service which the ORB will
resolve during resolve_initial_references("NameService")?

I am using OmniORB 3.0.5, and the net effect is that it always returns
the NameServices of machine_a, regardless of whether it is running a
NameService or even switched on.

Switching the two entries around obviously solves the problem, as it
picks machine_b as the first entry.

The net result is that I always get a COMM_FAILURE regardless of whether
machine_b is capable of taking requests. Is this behaviour correct, and
if so, what's the point of providing the capability to have a list of
NameServices if the first entry is always picked? If this is an issue,
is it an issue that OmniORB 4 resolves?

Am I missing something here, or is there another way I can get my client
to try each of the listed NameServices in turn?

Regards,

Richard J.