[omniORB] init.d script handling in rpm (3.0.5-1)

Rob Riggs rob@pangalactic.org
Tue Oct 22 15:24:00 2002

Pablo, I guess this is really a difference of opinion about how to
handle services and system security. I do not believe most packages
should enable their services automatically. I see installation of
software and enabling of services as two distinct steps -- and an
important security consideration. I personally prefer that the package
behave the way it currently does, requiring the admin to explicitly
enable the CORBA service. In this case, the init script only enables the
CORBA NameService. I do not believe that everyone that installs the
omniORB package needs this service running. I certainly do not enable it
on all machines I have omniORB installed.

-Rob