[omniORB] Trying to compile on SINIX and SOLARIS [Scanned]

Michael Forstner Michael.Forstner@cpg.de
Thu Oct 17 16:12:01 2002

> > Thanks, now I've compiled omniORB on Solaris 5.8 (Sparc) but I still
> > can't compile on SINIX: When compiling the c-preprocessor, it can't
> > find the index and rindex functions (defined in <strings.h>) and I
> > don't know why.  Additional the config-sinix.h file says it is
> > untested - so who compiled omniORB on SINIX?
>
> Someone successfully compiled omniORB 2.8 on SINIX. As far as I know,
> nobody has tried with omniORB 3.0 or 4.0, so it's not a particular
> surprise that it doesn't work. When I wrote the new omniidl, and made
> a suitable version of cccp, I made some config headers for a few
> platforms I didn't have access to, in the off chance that they would
> work. The one for SINIX clearly didn't...

I tried to compile omniORB 2.8 on SINIX too but also it doesn't work:

[ . . . ]
+ rm -f libast.a
+ ar cq libast.a ast_array.o ast_argument.o ast_attribute.o ast_check.o ast_conc
rete_type.o ast_constant.o ast_decl.o ast_enum.o ast_enum_val.o ast_exception.o
ast_expression.o ast_field.o ast_interface.o ast_intf_fwd.o ast_module.o ast_ope
ration.o ast_predefined_type.o ast_root.o ast_sequence.o ast_string.o ast_struct
ure.o ast_type.o ast_typedef.o ast_union.o ast_union_branch.o ast_union_label.o
ast_generator.o ast_redef.o ast_recursive.o
+ ranlib libast.a
/bin/sh: ranlib: nicht gefunden
make[3]: *** [libast.a] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home1/mf/omniORB_280/src/tool/omniidl2/ast'
[ . . . ]

"nicht gefunden" means "not found" - I don't know why ranlib isn't installed.
I will install ranlib and try to compile version 2.80.

> Have you tried configuring with the Autoconf configure script?
> There's a small possibility that that will work. Most likely, though,
> you're going to have to figure out the right things to do to get it to
> compile. You might try adding #include <strings.h> to config-sinix.h.

Yes, I tried both the manual way and with autoconf and I also tried adding #include <strings.h> in config-sinix.h but no success.