[omniORB] Linux RPMs built

Thomas Lockhart lockhart@fourpalms.org
Mon Oct 7 16:10:01 2002

> A few random observations and questions:
> * RPM rebuild on i386 RedHat Linux 7.3 succeeded after changing the
> python version requirement from 2.0 to 1.5.2. Any particular reason you
> required 2.0?

Not sure. I based the requirements on the RPM spec files I found for
3.0.5, though was able to greatly simplify most of the spec. The
constraint must have been in those original spec files.

> * RPM rebuild on i386 RedHat Linux 8.0 failed. Cause: declaration
> conflict of function crypt() in /usr/include/unistd.h and
> /usr/include/openssl/des.h.
> Actually the OpenSSL guys appear responsible, considering the relevant
> odd bit in des.h:
> #if !defined(PERL5) && !defined(__FreeBSD__) && !defined(NeXT)
> char *crypt(const char *buf,const char *salt);
> #endif

Ah, the corresponding lines in des.h on Mandrake are (please excuse the
line wrapping):

#if !defined(PERL5) && !defined(__FreeBSD__) && !defined(NeXT)
  && !defined(_UWIN) && !defined (_XOPEN_SOURCE)
char *crypt(const char *buf,const char *salt);
#endif

Note the extra qualification for _XOPEN_SOURCE which is missing from
your example and which keeps things from failing on my machine. I notice
that rpmfind.net shows 0.9.6b as the version of openssl on RH, while I
have 0.9.6g on Mdk. Is this significant, or did Mandrake patch the
header explicitly?

We could develop an autoconf test for this problem. Any ideas for a
workaround?

                      - Thomas