[omniORB] Assertion failure in giopImpl12 (omniORB4)

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri Nov 29 12:37:00 2002

On Monday 25 November, Chris Newbold wrote:

> We've got a relatively reproducable scenario that causes omniORB4 to hit
> an internal assertion. Here's the assert message:
>
>         Nov 22 13:08:54.144519 rcpd[30504:30671]: omniORB D
>         omniORB: Assertion failed.  This indicates a bug in the
>         application using omniORB, or maybe in omniORB itself. e.g.
>         using the ORB after it has been shut down.
>         file:/u/jfardo/work/orb4_main/src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/giopImpl12.cc
>         line: 322
>         info: g->pd_strand->servers.next != &g->pd_strand->servers

I think that what's happening is that the ORB is waiting for a reply
to a request, and it gets a request message.  It's not expecting one,
so when it tries to find a server stream to deal with it, the
assertion fails. I'm not 100% positive, though. Can you post a trace
from -ORBtraceLevel 30, so the GIOP messages are shown. If that _is_
what's happening, it's a bug that omniORB has an assertion failure
rather than just reporting an error in the stream. Is it omniORB at
the other end, or some other ORB?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --