[omniORB] patch: support for compilation tuning using enviroment vars.

Bastiaan Bakker Bastiaan.Bakker@lifeline.nl
Wed Nov 20 12:33:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 01:53, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Bastiaan Bakker wrote:
>
> > Last thing I heard is that <packagename>-config is not l33t anymore, we
> > all should use pkg-config (see
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/).
> > Actually it *does* make sense to have one script and a bunch of config
> > files rather than a whole lot almost identical scripts containing config
> > data.
>
> that's a point. However, these scripts are ridiculously simple, and I'd
> prefer shipping my own any day as opposed to drag in a new dependency
> to yet another external tool. Once such a 'pkgconfig' thing is part of
> the autotools, I'll reconsider it. For now I prefer writing my own
> script, and thus only relying on the existence of a shell.

Good point. pkgconfig seems to be tied into Gnome & friends too much.
For some reason it's written in C, not shell, so I don't expect it to
become part of the autotools soon (unless someone wants to port it).
Anyway, I certainly do not want to discourage you to write
omniorb-config.

Bastiaan Bakker
LifeLine Networks bv